Memory foam kids’ pillows are designed to mimic the shape of their heads while providing just enough support to keep them in a relaxed position for the duration
of their sleep. To ensure its durability and extended quality, it is important to clean it correctly and in a fashion that does not damage the memory foam.
Memory foam pillow care instructions will direct you never to use a washing machine to wash your pillow because the water combined with the tumble cycle will damage the internal material, rendering it damaged. In addition, never put it in a dryer because the spinning motion and excess heat will tear apart the inner padding.
Ensuring your child’s pillow is kept clean, and bacteria-free is essential to a good night’s sleep. It should be cleaned thoroughly and relatively frequently. Ideally, you may want to perform a deep clean every 2-3 months while spot cleaning when it is needed. Follow the steps below as a guide to cleaning your kid’s memory foam pillow.
Spot cleaning is one of the most agile ways to clean a pillow after an accidental spill.
- Immediately after the accident, remove the pillowcase to prevent the liquid from fully absorbing in the memory foam.
- In a bowl or spray bottle, mix warm water with gentle dish soap.
- Apply a generous amount of soapy water onto the dirty spot and begin scrubbing with a microfiber cloth or soft sponge. Scrub lightly until the area is clean.
- In the rare event that this method does not entirely remove the stain, apply a small amount of hydrogen peroxide to the area and scrub it with an old toothbrush. This should do the trick on tough stains such as wine and blood.
- Allow the pillow to air dry, and do not put it in the dryer as it will damage the inner filling, consequently reducing its quality. For fast results, you can sit it in a warm sunny area.
If the stain has a lingering odor, such as animal urine, repeat the same steps, but keep in mind that the solution will differ. In a bowl or water bottle, mix one cup of hydrogen peroxide, two tablespoons of baking soda, and one teaspoon of white vinegar. Depending on how deep the odor penetrated the pillow, you may need to scrub continuously to eliminate any hint of residual odor. Make sure your pillow is thoroughly dry before using it again.
Like all other bedding, memory foam pillows need a regular deep cleaning to rid them of dust and bacterial elements that build up over time. As mentioned above, do not wash it in the washing machine; instead, you can hand wash it in a bathtub, sink, or large bucket. Follow these steps for the best results.
- Remove the pillow from the pillowcase. Most pillowcases can be washed in the washing machine.
- Mix warm water with a gentle dish or laundry detergent in the bathtub, sink, or bucket.
- Submerge your pillow in the solution until it has absorbed enough water to weigh it down.
- Let the pillow soak for at least 10 minutes, then drain the water.
- Rinse your pillow under running water and continuously squeeze it to remove any excess soap residue.
- From here, strain all excess water out but ensure you are not twisting the pillow. Instead, simply pat it down, as this will ensure you do not cause damage.
- Allow the pillow to air dry, and do not put it in the dryer as it will damage the internal filling, reducing its quality.
To maintain constant freshness, you can always perform a quick refresh between deep cleaning. This will reduce bacteria buildup and keep your child’s memory foam pillow smelling fresh and clean. Follow these steps for the best results.
- Remove the pillow from the pillowcase.
- Apply a liberal amount of baking soda onto the top side of the pillow and allow it to sit for a few hours.
- When done, you can clean off the baking soda with a vacuum hose.
- Flip the pillow and repeat the steps to ensure the entire pillow is cleaned.
- The pillowcase can be placed back on immediately after the baking soda has been vacuumed from both sides.
Now that you know how to best clean your child’s memory foam pillow, knowing what to look for when shopping for one is essential. You will want to confirm that the memory foam components will not expose your child to harmful elements. Pillows for kids with CertiPUR-US certification ensure that the components and materials used are free from toxic chemicals and heavy metals. Memory foam pillows can be found with this certification.
In addition to assuring your child’s pillow is chemical-free, shopping for the perfectly crafted design is just as essential to ensure a good night’s sleep. Cooling pillows for kids are designed with a soft touch and intended to help improve your child’s quality of sleep. The good thing is that they come in various sizes, which means you can find an exact fit for your child’s neck and head.
Furthermore, accurately adjusting a pillow to match your body alignment while sleeping is equally as important. Rather than continuously purchasing a new pillow to match your child’s growth, an excellent alternative is purchasing an adjustable bed pillow for kids. These pillows can be adjusted in height and thickness, making them ideal for older children who require a thicker pillow as they grow.