Gaining a little weight can help you tone your body better. But gaining too much weight can create havoc in your day to day life. You might notice that you cannot walk for too long, cannot run too far, cannot do exercise at a long stretch or do other activities. You might start having breathing problems doing light cardio and figure out that it is time to take a weight loss diet. Here, we will help you explore a diet plan for weight loss that is effective and can help you cut down on fat.
Proper nutrition plays a vital role in leading a healthy lifestyle. When a proper diet is combined with a routine exercise, it is far more effective. If you are currently facing problems with your gained weight, then you must follow some weight loss meal plan. A good diet plan for weight loss helps you to stay clear of chronic diseases like heart problems, cancer, and diseases triggered by obesity. This even helps you to lead a better lifestyle. You must include exercise in your daily routine along with the diet. Here is the best diet for weight loss.
Table of Contents
Why do you need to lose weight?
While for most people, looking good is an essential criterion to lose weight, it is not one of the important reasons. You actually need to lose weight to become healthier. You can have different driving forces that makes you determined to lose weight. But you must consider the following problems that can happen when you have too much fat in your body:
It is a degenerative disease in which you lose the joint cartilage, and the bones of your joints start hurting. We have been habituated in thinking that arthritis is normal as every older adult is suffering from it. But, if you are unhealthy or obese, you are more likely to get osteoarthritis.
A good sleep
The fat in your airway narrows the airspace and cause troubled sleep. The fat in the upper body also causes your lungs to reduce the space within. So, you cannot breathe properly even when you are asleep.
The immune system works better
The increase in BMI indicates towards some of the dangerous infections such as herpes, stomach infections, nose and sinus infections, and gum infections. Thus, you need to keep balance.
Survive a surgery and even childbirth
People who are obese have a longer operation time, harder to intubate, have chances of catheter infection and much more. You can also have postoperative complications.
General motor Diet Plan for you
There is only a few weight loss meal plan is available on the internet that is proven by people worldwide. Most of them are not suitable, sufficient, or sustainable. However, the GM diet or General Motors diet is a very famous one to decrease weight. This diet has a record to lose 15 to 17 lbs in a matter of 7 days. But losing weight so fast can be harmful to your body so you must consult a dietician before starting to follow any diet.
What is the General Motor Diet Plan?
The General Motor plan is a 7-day diet plan. This is a diet for fast weight loss. This diet was promoted by General Motors in 1985 to support its employees to lose some weight. This weight loss meal plan includes meals of low-calorie.
The diet plan of General Motors
The food chart for the general Motors diet is as follows –
- Eat lots of fruits like cantaloupes, berries, and watermelon. This kind of nuts is most recommended.
- Avoid eating bananas on the first day.
- Drink around 8 to 12 glasses of water during the day.
- Just eat vegetables for the second day.
- For cooking the vegetables use olive oils. Avoid deep frying of vegetables.
- Drink water 8-12 glasses.
- You can have both fruits and vegetables on the third day.
- Altogether avoid having bananas and potatoes.
- Drink 8 to 12 glasses of water.
- Eat around 8 small bananas and drink 4 glasses of milk. Banana is considered to be a superfood that will help you to boost your energy levels. Do not add any sweetener or sugar to your milk.
- To get a change of taste, eat a bowl of clear vegetable soup.
- Drink around 8 to 12 glasses of water.
- You can have brown rice.
- Eat around 6 large tomatoes.
- Chicken breast and fish is recommended for non-vegetarians.
- Vegetarians can have cottage cheese or tofu.
- Drink lots of water and stay hydrated. You can also have strained fruits without added sweeteners.
- Have brown rice
- Chicken breast or fish recommended for non-vegetarians.
- Consume raw sautéed veggies excluding potato
- Drink enough fluids. Avoid sugar and sweetened fluids.
- Eat brown rice
- Eat light fried vegetables or raw vegetables.
- Consume 4 glasses of fruit juice.
- Have 8 glasses of water.
Other foods you can consume
- Green tea without adding sugar
- Black coffee without adding milk or sugar
Foods to avoid
- Junk Food
- Packaged Food
7-day diet plan chart sample
If you are having a problem to draft your diet plan, then you can take help of this sample diet plan or take ideas from it –
Breakfast at 8:00 a.m. – an average size apple + some berries + a glass of water
Mid-Morning at 10:30 a.m. – half cup of cantaloupe juice and 1 of water
Lunch at 12:30 p.m. – 1 cup of watermelon and two glasses
Evening Snack at 4:00 p.m. – 1 large orange and 1 glass of water
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – 1 cup cantaloupe and berries and 1 glass of water
Snack at 8:30 p.m. – 1 and a half cup watermelon and two glasses of water
Foods that you will avoid on the first day
- Avoid all veggies
- Meat, beans, lentils, eggs, fish and mushrooms.
- Lard, margarine, safflower, and butter.
- Full-fat milk, full-fat yoghurt, ice cream, frozen yoghurt and cheese.
- Carb-rich foods, brown rice
- Alcohol, soda, milkshakes, vegetable juice, smoothie, sweetened drinks and packaged fruit juices.
Breakfast at 8:00 am – 1 cup boiled potato and a glass of water
Mid-morning at 10:30 am – Half cucumber and glass of water
Lunch at 12;30 p.m. – 1 cup of lettuce, baby spinach, bell peppers, and asparagus and 2 glasses of water
Evening Snack at 4:00 p.m. – Half cup of baby carrots and a glass water
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – 1 cup of blanched broccoli and green beans and a glass of water
Snack at 8:30 p.m. – 1 cucumber and 2 glasses of water
Foods that you will avoid on the second day
- All fruits
- Rest same as first day
Breakfast at 8:00 a.m. – half cup of cantaloupe and 2 glasses of water
Mid-Morning at 10:30 a.m. – 1 cup pineapple or pear and 2 glasses of water
Lunch at 12:30 p.m. – 1 cup of salad. You can include carrots, cucumber and lettuce
Evening Snack at 4:00 p.m. – 1 orange, half cup of cantaloupe and 1 glass of water
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – 1 cup of salad, you can include beets, spinach and broccoli and 2 glasses water
Snack at 8.30 p.m. – 1 pear and 1 glass water
Foods that you will avoid on the third day
- Same as the first and second day.
Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. – 2 bananas and 1 glass of milk
Mid-morning at 10:30 a.m. – 1 banana and glass of water or you can replace it with a banana smoothie
Lunch at 12:30 p.m. – Milkshake this can include 2 bananas, cocoa powder, 1 glass of milk
Evening Snack at 4:00 p.m. – 2 bananas
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – 1 banana and 1 glass of milk
Snack at 8:30 p.m. – 1 glass of milk
Foods that you will avoid on the fourth day
Everything except milk and banana.
Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. – 3 tomatoes, half cup sprouts and 2 glass of water
Mid-morning at 10:30 a.m. – 1 apple and 1 glass of water
Lunch at 12:30 p.m. – half cup of brown rice and sautéed assorted vegetables or 3oz fish fillet and 2 glasses of water
Evening Snack at 4:00 p.m. – 2 tomatoes and 1 glass of water
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – 1 cup of brown rice, 1 tomato, half cup of sautéed vegetables and 2 glasses of water
Foods that you will avoid on the fifth day
- Potato and sweet potato
- Beef, turkey and pork
- Butter, margarine, lard and safflower oil.
- White rice, processed foods and bread.
- Full-fat milk, full-fat yoghurt, ice cream, frozen yoghurt and cheese.
- Sweetened drinks, soda, alcohol, fresh fruit juices and smoothies.
Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. – 1 glass carrot juice and half cup boiled legumes
Mid-morning at 10:30 a.m. – 1 cup of boiled veggies and 2 glasses of water
Lunch at 12:00 p.m. – half cup of brown rice, half cup vegetables and 2 glasses of water
Snack at 3:30 p.m. – 1 cup of cucumber slices and 2 glasses of water
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – half cup of brown rice, half cup veggies, cottage cheese or chicken breasts and 2 glasses of water
Foods that you will avoid on the sixth day
- Sweet potato or regular potato
- All fruits
- Rest same as the third day.
Breakfast at 8:30 a.m. – 1 glass of orange or apple juice
Mid-morning at 10:30 a.m. – 1 cup of fruit salad and 2 glasses of water
Lunch at 12:30 p.m. – half cup brown rice, half cup sautéed vegetables and 2 glasses of water
Snack at 4:00 p.m. – 1 cup of watermelon or a few assorted berries and 2 glasses of water
Dinner at 6:30 p.m. – 1 cup of GM soup and 2 glasses of water
Foods that you will avoid on the seventh day
- Banana, cherry, mango, and pear in fruits
- Meat, like beef, turkey, pork, fish, chicken, lentils, beans, soy, mushrooms and much more
- Rest same as the previous days
How to prepare GM Diet Soup
Below is the recipe for the GM soup which is included in the Seventh-day diet plan.
- Large onions (chopped) – 6
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 3
- Cabbage (sliced) – 100 grams
- Carrots (sliced) – 122 grams
- Celery (chopped) 3 to 4 stalks
- Water – as per requirement
- Salt – as per taste
- Black pepper – half teaspoon
- Lime – 2 wedges
- Olive oil – 3 tablespoons
- Parsley (chopped) – to garnish
- Toss the onion and the celery in olive oil in a pan for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the carrot in it.
- Gradually add water and salt
- Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook on medium heat for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Add lime juice, black pepper to it and stir.
- Garnish with parsley.
What are the benefits of GM diet?
The is known as one of the best diets for weight loss. But, before you start with following this diet, you should know what the benefits of this diet are. Here are some of the merits of this diet:
- Weight gain prevention – this diet helps in weight gain prevention by cutting the amounts of sugar and other sugary food.
- Improves Health – having veggies and fruits helps you in improving your health and immunity. This weight loss diet helps in improving cell function.
- Detoxification – fruits and vegetable are full of antioxidants that help to flush out the toxins from the body.
Demerits of the GM diet
However, as this diet plan for weight loss is a quick way to lose weight, it has some side effects.
- Tiredness – The abrupt decrease in calorie intake makes you feel tired and weak.
- Mood Swings – This has some chance to cause mood swings in you.
However, even the best diet for weight loss is of no use if you do not exercise besides dieting. You would also have to maintain your food intake after you lose weight.