Video content was one of the top forms of social media marketing content in 2019, and it’s not going anywhere in 2020. As a top video production agency in Brighton, CoolBox Films are experts in social media video. Here are our top three social media video tips you must know for 2020.
Short, live updates from brands on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube are becoming more and more popular. Stories started with Snapchat, where users could film short clips of themselves, vlog-style, and upload it to their profile for their followers to view. Instagram added the feature soon after, followed by Facebook, and now YouTube. There are three considerations for stories as a major social media video trend in 2020.
- Humanising Content – Stories are a great way for brands and influencers to humanise their content. Rather than presenting polished, edited videos, stories allow brands to quickly put out updates that are directly available to followers. Engagement with stories is also more direct. Instead of leaving a comment, followers send a direct message. Comments on a social media post can be passively administered, but direct messages require much more focused attention.
- Combining Stories with Traditional Videos – While there’s an increase in the popularity of stories, which typically last no longer than 15 seconds, longer, edited videos aren’t going anywhere. Both forms of video content are important for a solid social media strategy. But brands who’ve relied solely on edited videos published on their profile up until now might consider using stories as well.
- Experimenting with Stories – Some video producers who’ve spent the last several years putting out crisp, high-quality videos for their brands might struggle with stories at first. Deciding what to capture in your story and how to present yourself or your event in a short, unedited take can be challenging for those unaccustomed to it. But the more brands experiment with stories the more they’ll become second nature.
When we think about social media advertising, we often don’t remember the professional networking site, LinkedIn. But LinkedIn is as much a social platform as Facebook or Twitter, and LinkedIn marketing strategies require their own set of rules.
Marketers who neglect LinkedIn don’t recognise that it has a visitor-to-lead conversion rate of 2.74 percent, which is higher than all other social media platforms. And since videos are the preferred form of content according to more than half of consumers, LinkedIn videos are poised to have a huge impact on digital marketing in 2020. When it comes to videos on LinkedIn, think about the type of video and how to optimise it.
- Pick a Video Type for Your Audience – Just as with general video marketing, there are several types of videos to choose from, and all perform well on LinkedIn. You can release a short update with news about or relevant to your business, or a profile video of your team members, adding human faces to your brand. Case studies or testimonial videos also do well on LinkedIn. Whatever you choose should be geared toward your audience.
- LinkedIn Video Optimisation Tips – Just like with Instagram and Facebook, users often watch LinkedIn videos on their mobiles and without sound. So add subtitles and ensure the video’s formatted for mobile. You should also include a call to action in your video description and include SEO keywords. When it comes to length, you can vary your LinkedIn videos, based on the type you’re making. You should also encourage your viewers to like, share, and comment on the video to boost your engagement.
Even though more than 500 million hours of video are watched on YouTube every day, and more than 500 million people watch Facebook videos every day, 93 percent of internet users said they didn’t feel like they received relevant marketing communications – 90 percent were even annoyed by irrelevant messaging.
It’s not surprising, then, that 81 percent of people want brands to get to know them first before approaching them. So what do all these numbers mean? That there’s a big opportunity for personalised videos to meet consumer’s viewing demands in 2020.
Personalised videos help brands connect more directly with their target audience. By speaking to customers about issues they care about or aiming to solve their problems, companies can personalise their marketing approach. It also forges stronger relationships. With their vast potential to reach consumers and generate more leads, personalised videos will be huge in 2020.
Final Thoughts on 2020 Social Media Video Trends
At CoolBox Films, specialists in social media and corporate video production, we’re predicting big things for social media video this upcoming year. With stories, LinkedIn videos, and personalised videos, the social media marketing landscape is indeed set to see some big trends in 2020.