Your stomach should never turn out to be a wastebasket. Just as exercise is important for your body, in the same way, proper functioning and intake of the right diet in mandatory for a healthy and wealthy living. Heathen Morgan soulfully quotes, “Every bite you take is either fighting disease or feeding it.” And it is you who knows better what is the apt thing for you to keep yourself fit. In the recent days, the cause of stomach pain has increased among the youths as well as among the elderly people. The causes can be ample and behind every cause is a reason. Let’s commence by overviewing what actually is this stomach ache!
What is a stomach pain?
Also known as Abdominal pain, mostly is caused in between the chest and the pelvic regions of the body. This phenomenon might be due to certain serious health conditions as well as for a certain period of time. The pain might vary as per the cause of the stomach ache. There are certain stomach ache problems where you might feel cramps, dull as well as sick.
There are so many reasons for the causes of a stomach ache. The abdomen consists of the other important organs of the body due to which you might face the consequences of sheer pain. Let us delve into the details where we will garner the information on the causes of such cramps.
Possible Causes of Stomach Ache
Gas causes a sheer tightness in the abdomen which feels like cramps or friction inside the stomach. This is generally caused when the small intestine in your body is incapable of breaking down certain food into particles. This leads to the formation of gas which gets increased leading to acute pain.
Most of the people these days are suffering from constipation. This occurs when you do not have clear bowel and that waste gets accumulated inside the body leading to a tummy ache.
- Menstrual Cramps
Women understand the pain better. Some suffer from steep abdomen pain which becomes completely intolerable. The pain is mostly felt in the lower belly and the back. The reason behind the stomach cramps is due to the contraction of the uterus.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Mostly stated in women, IBS can occur to anyone at any age. This is the primary pain that remains constant until there is a clearance of the bowel movement. The results can be stomach cramps and gas.
- Stomach Flu
Also known as gastroenteritis, this pain occurs when you have liquid stool, vomiting, stomach cramps and bloating. Even after proper medication, it still tends to last for a maximum of 2 days.
- Urinary Infection
Urinary tract might often get affected by an infection caused due to bacteria or viruses where there the bladder tends to get affected. The results might also lead to cystitis. Furthermore, there might be occurrences of stomach ache, painful urination, and strong-smelling urine.
- Uncommon Factors
Abdomen pain might also result from causes which will be only detected by a professional doctor. The acute pain in certain regions of the abdomen might showcase what is the reason behind the tummy ache. Causes like appendicitis, inflation of the liver, food poisoning, internal organ cancer might also lead to abrupt stomach ache.
Types of Stomach Ache
There are too many specifications to categorize the stomach ache. Mostly it can be categorized as the upper abdominal pain, lower abdominal pain, and mild abdominal pain.
1. Upper Abdominal Pain
The main reason behind the upper abdominal pain is due to gas. The reasons might be many. As stated above, the intestine during this time fails to churn the food into particles. The reason behind this might be due to eating food too quickly or swallowing food without proper chewing. It can also be caused by the intake of certain food like too much oily food, beers and so on.
2. Lower Abdominal Pain
Lower abdominal pain can be either common or uncommon. The acute pain towards the left side of the stomach can be a reason for appendicitis. The pain can also lead to nauseous feelings and even vomit. If the pain persists for a longer period of time, without much hesitation, consult a doctor.
3. Mid Abdominal Pain
It can be mild or severe. The cause of mild stomach ache can be due to excessive lactose intake which might not suit your body. Controlling calcium can be done by the alternation of dairy product with green leafy vegetables.
How can you prevent abdominal pain?
Abdominal pain cannot turn that abrupt unless treated properly. You need to follow a proper routine to make sure that your body is functioning properly. The risk of stomach ache can be reduced once to start following a proper and timely schedule and not intaking too much oil or junk food.
- Follow a routine where you –
- Excercise regularly at least for 45 minutes
- Go for long walks
- Eat healthy green vegetables
- Include the amount of proper carbohydrate, protein, and vitamins in your diet
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water
- Break your meals into several smaller meals
There are other important factors which you need to follow. But in case, if you are having any intestinal disorder, make sure you visit the doctor in the first place and follow the prescribed treatment. Also, make sure, you are bound to form gastric disorder if you directly lie down just after having your food. Either sit or do something for two hours or go for a small walk after having your meal. This way you will be able to prevent the stomach ache as well as remain healthy, fit and fine.
Natural Steps/ Medications to be taken for Stomach Pain Relief
- If you are suffering from gas, you can opt for topics or even rantac after having your meal. This will lower the chances of you facing heartburn as well as relives from gastric problems.
- Often stomach pain occurs due to excessive stress or nervousness. Professionals and researches state that often due to stress you might become hypersensitive which tends to stomach cramps or nauseating feeling. To avoid such an occurrence of stomach ache, simply go for a walk. Perform some yoga or deep breathing to calm yourself down.
- For extreme heartburn, you can opt for an antacid or an acid reducer. If still, you are in a dilemma, you can opt for having a cold drink or soda.
- Constipation can be very uncomfortable. To relieve yourself from such an uncomfortable tummy ache, opt for the intake of laxatives or stool softener which will prevent you from the sheer ache.
- For other types of pain, you can opt for acetaminophen as it is completely steroid free and does not cause much harm to the body.
- In case of menstrual cramps, before heading to the intake of any medicines, it is was better to opt for home remedies. Use heat or hot water back and place it on your tummy to get the relief from stomach ache.
- Rather than having three big meals, divide your meals into 6 or 8 smaller meals. Try to take up healthy food in a gap of every 3 hours.
- You do not have to hurry while eating your food. Due to this reason, most of the issues with stomach ache occurs in the body. Chew your food properly and do not swallow easily.
- Also opt from stress buster activities like meditation, yoga or exercise for a healthy tummy.
How to Get Rid of Stomach Ache?
Stomach aches are mainly never so serious. Before things turn out to be worse, it is always better to take precaution beforehand. And you can opt for the same through some natural therapy to get rid of your tummy ache.
Home remedies for stomach pain:
Before the invention of medicines, ginger has always been used as one of the most effective natural remedies for stomach pain. As per research, ginger has got the anti-inflammatory property that helps in subsiding the formation of gas or even burning effect in the upper abdomen.
- Cut the ginger into thin slices and chew it raw by sprinkling a little bit of salt.
- You can also intake the ginger in the form of beverage.
- Head to the supermarket for ginger tea.
- Squeeze lime juice with honey and grated ginger along with it some water to get relief from the acute stomach ache.
Another amazing natural remedy to omit stomach ache is the intake of peppermint. This can be taken in various forms. Peppermint has the quality of menthol that acts as a pain reliever.
Steps to stomach pain relief using peppermint-
1. Opt for black or red tea with peppermint in it
2. Detox water is also helpful. Mix lime juice, peppermint leaves, and little honey to relieve yourself from the stomach pain.
3. Inhale products that have peppermint as its ingredient.
4. Suck onto minty candies
5. Chew the leaves normally.
3. Intake of Prebiotics
Prebiotics are a form of good bacteria that are naturally formed inside the stomach. Intake of probiotic pills helps in the growth of good bacteria for the proper functioning of your digestive system. There are several vegetables where you will be able to find natural prebiotics that provide a relief from a tummy ache. Among them, some of the most crucial ones include garlic, asparagus, onions and Jerusalem artichokes.
One of the best ingredients which act as a stool softener, the natural laxative which will easily cure your stomach upset problem. The reason behind having a banana as a natural home remedy for curing stomach cramps is that this fruit contains polysaccharide pectin which helps in natural bowel movements.
How to have a banana to get rid of stomach pain –
- Eat a banana every morning in empty stomach.
- Blend 2 bananas with lukewarm water or milk and create a banana shake. Drink the shake during your breakfast.
- You can also have the shake post your workout session.
5. Aloe Vera Juice
Aloe Vera is one of that ingredient which has several benefits for the body. The presence of anti-inflammatory and cooling properties that helps in curing stomach ulcers providing relief to abdominal ache.
How to intake the juice for stomach pain relief –
- There are many aloe vera juices available in the supermarket which you can purchase.
- Mix two tablespoon of aloe vera juice in lukewarm water and drink this in empty stomach.
- If you are willing to make it at home. Wash properly the leaf of aloe vera.
- Pat, it dries with a cloth and cut out the gel from the leaf.
- Make sure that you remove the other yellow part of the leaf.
- Blend the gel properly with plain water and also serve it with dates for a healthy body and relief yourself from stomach pain
Chamomile too has anti-inflammatory properties that relieve the pain and reduces heartburning sensation. It is a cure-all ingredient that cures gas, abdomen pain as well as heartburning sensation.
How to have chamomile for stomach pain relief –
- Take 3 to 4 tablespoon of chamomile tea leaves
- Pour it into boiling water
- Add some mint leaves for a better aroma
- Strain the tea and drink it.
- If you are unable to get Chamomile tea leaves, the flowers along with mint leaves will work wonders for you stomach ache relief.
If you are not prone to lactose intake, you should not opt for it. Yogurt has a probiotic component that helps in the formation of good bacteria that is naturally formed in the stomach for the digestion process.
- Have one cup of yogurt after your lunch without sugar.
- You can also opt for greek yogurt which is highly healthy post-workout session.
- You can also make lassi by blending yogurt, water, and some spices to break the monotony of the drink. This only helps in the digestion process but also relieves yours from a tummy ache.
8. BRAT Diet
When you are facing a problem with diarrhea or stomach upset, parents always have the formula of including BRAT Diet. It calms and cures stomach upset.
BRAT Diet includes –
- Apple Sauce
These are the well-recommended food ingredients that cure stomach illness as well as cures nausea, vomitting, and diarrhea. Being a low-fiber food, you are going to feel better and also the weakness tends to go away.
When should you visit the doctor for your stomach pain?
There is certain abdominal pain which is highly severe and that looks like an emergency visit to the doctor. The mild stomach pain can be cured by the intake of certain medicines which will be prescribed by the professional.
But if you are facing severe and unbearable pain, do not hesitate to visit the hospital or the doctor immediately without any delay. Seeking for medical help is required if the pain becomes unbearable preventing you to sit or stand.
Some of the major factors when you should be visiting the doctor during serious stomach cramps or abdominal pain are –
- Bloody Stools
- Constant vomiting
- Yellowing of the Skin
- Blood Vomiting
- Difficulty in breathing
- Acute Constipation for more than a day
- Abrupt weight loss
- Burning feel when you urinate
- Abdominal pain for more than a day
A stomach ache can be really uncomfortable and prevent you from leading a normal and healthy life. Digestion is one of the greatest secrets to a healthy life. It is high time to ditch junk foods and follow a scheduled diet with regular exercises. So that says it all, you do not have to be too great to commence, rather you need a kickstart to prove yourself to be great, fit and healthy.