Did you know that India is the second largest English speaking country in the world? Or the Indian facts that it has a floating post office?
If no then do not worry as you will soon unravel many such interesting facts about India in this post as you continue reading.There are many such similar interesting facts about India that most people do not know.
The motive of this article is to throw some light on many such unknown amazing and fun facts about India.
India is a country of diverse culture. Millions of people live here who follow a different lifestyle, food habits, speak in a different language and even worship different gods according to their faith.
A country that is so diverse, ought to have numerous interesting facts. One will be amazed to know all the interesting facts about India.
Also, there are 1.34 billion people living here, with each contributing his or her bit of a different kind of fact to the India facts.
Excited to know about all those interesting Indian facts? So, let us take a look at all those facts about India that will make your jaw drop.
Interesting facts about India:
With so many different facts, all the facts about India or all those interesting India facts can be easily categorized into several categories. So, all these Indian facts are categorized into groups.
First up is all the interesting facts about India. So here is a list of all the interesting India facts:
1. In India, it is illegal if a child does not look after their parents in their old age, after they have retired: Unlike most of the western countries where children are asked to find a living for themselves at a very young age, in India parents look after their children until they complete their studies and find a suitable job.
Thus, when their parents start to grow old, it is the duty of the children to look after their parents. If they don’t then that is a punishable offense in India.
This law is known as the right to maintenance. Abiding by this law, an individual also needs to take care of their widowed daughter, a husband needs to take care of their wife and so on.
2. Mahatma Gandhi is not officially the father of the nation: there is no written proof of the fact that Mahatma Gandhi is officially titled as the father of the nation. This title is thus a title bestowed on him by the commoners out of love.
3. Only 3% of the total population of India pays income tax: One of the major reasons for all the problem in the nation is because of the India fact that only 3% of the total population of the country pays their tax. The rest of the population just escapes the procedure.
4. There is a polling station in India that is set up only for a single voter: Vote is a right of every individual. However, the interesting Indian fact is that to live by this statement, the government of India opened up a polling station amidst the Gir forest in Gujarat.
In this Gir forest, only a man lives. Thus, this polling station is used to take the vote of this man alone.
5. Specific parts of India receives more visitors than the combined visitor count of Mecca and the Vatican city: Yes, you read that correctly. The Kashi Vishwanath temple and the temple of Tirupathi Balaji, individually enjoy the presence of more visitors that the visitors received by Mecca and the Vatican City combined.
6. The concept of “Shampoo” originated in India: The practice of shampooing one’s hair to keep it dirt free is actually a concept that was first started in India. The word ‘shampoo’ is derived from the word ‘champu’, which is a Sanskrit word meaning to massage.
Amazing facts about India.
A list of some of the most amazing facts about India that will amaze all the readers:
1. India’s ice hockey team is a member of the International Ice Hockey Federation: The national ice hockey team of India is a member of the International Ice Hockey Federation.
2. India has a floating post office: In the beautiful town city of Srinagar, India has its first and only floating post office. This post office is one of the major tourist attraction.
Besides being a tourist attraction, this post office also performs and carries out the normal duties as any other normal post office. The post office remains open from 10 am to 6 pm on all weekdays and also remains open on Sundays during the tourist seasons.
3. India saw the largest funeral: The funeral of C. N. Annadurai (Conjeevaram Natarajan Annadurai), the former prime minister of the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu saw the largest attendant. Believed to the largest funeral, this funeral gathered about 15 million people.
4. Hindi is not so popular in South India: A very interesting fact about India is that most of the south Indian people do not speak in Hindi. Although Hindi is believed to be the national language of India, in south India English is more popular than Hindi.
5. Home of first ever University in the world: A very less known fact about India is that India is the home of the first ever university in the world. The name of the university is Takshila and is believed to be functioning since the 700 BC.
6. The most rainfall received residential area is in India: Mawsynram, a small village on the hills (Khasi hills) in the state of Meghalaya is the place that receives the most rainfall throughout the year. The India fact is that, people reside in that village.
7. Water on the moon: The fact that there is water on the moon was first discovered by the Indian scientists of ISRO in the year 2009.
8. The human calculator: Shakuntla Devi was given this title after she exhibited the calculation of two 13 digit numbers: 7,686,369,774,870 × 2,465,099,745,779 which was picked aimlessly. She responded accurately within 28 seconds.
Fun facts about India:
The list of most interesting and fun facts about India that will surely make you feel proud to be an Indian:-
1. India holds the second place in the list of the largest English speaking countries: one of the interesting and fun fact about India is that it is the second largest English speaking country.
For a country with such a diverse culture, there are multiple languages that are being spoken by the Indian people. Almost every region has their own mother tongue. But interesting India fact is that almost 10% people can speak English besides their mother tongue.
India being a highly populated country, 10% of the population means almost 125 million people, which is huge. Thus, it is ranked second in the list of largest English speaking countries.
2. The first rocket in India traveled by cycle: The first ever rocket made in India was super light weighted and thus it was carried to its destination on a cycle. The rocket was launched from Thumba Launching station in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
3. Besides human, India has a spa for the elephants as well: A less known Indian fact is that there is a place in the state of Kerala that has a spa that is meant especially for the leisure of the elephants. This spa can host upto 59 elephants at a time and is attached and maintained by a Hindu temple in the state. This Hindu temple in Kerala is called the Guruvayurappan Hindu temple.
4. Hindi is not the national tongue of India: National language means a language that is unanimously accepted by all the people living in the country. Especially in a country as India where a different region has their own regional languages, it becomes difficult to communicate. So Hindi was decided as the national language of India by the government.
But the fun Indian facts is that the people living in South India do not speak Hindi. They, in fact, prefer English over Hindi.
5. The only country having an ocean by its name: India is the only country in the entire world that has an entire ocean named after it. The ocean name is the Indian ocean.
6. Largest producer of milk: India happens to be the largest milk producer in the entire world.
7. Refining of sugar: India is the very first country to find out ways of refining sugar. Thus, the first country to consume sugar. Later on, other countrymen learned the technique from Indians.
Indian culture facts:
A few facts about India’s culture:-
1. 5 years of imprisonment is the punishment for a man who commits adultery: A man may have to spend 5 long years in Jail if it is found out or proved that the person committed adultery.
Here, adultery refers to consensual intercourse with a married woman. The punishment is imposed on the man if he is proved to do so without the consent or knowledge of the husband of the woman.
However, the married woman involved roams about Scott free.
2. The Golden Temple in Punjab, India feeds millions of people every year: A Wonderful India fact is that the Golden Temple in Punjab, India feeds more than 50,000 people per day, every year irrespective of their caste, creed, religion, etc.
3. Kumbh Mela seen from space: So many Hindu pilgrims visit that Kumbh Mela that the gathering of this mela is clearly visible from even the space!
Facts about India for kids:
All the interesting and fun facts about India that every Indian kid must know:
1. India comes third when it comes to claiming a maximum number of records every year: India is the third most record making or holding country (every year) in the world. India comes just after the USA and the United Kingdom.
2. India is the host for the largest religious gathering in the entire world: Another interesting fact about India is that it hosts the largest religious gathering. The holy Hindu gathering called the Kumbh Mela, that occurs every 12 years bring together about 30 million people (as estimated in the year 2013)
3. India is the home to the largest family in the world: Residing in a 100 roomed and 4 storeyed house in the Indian state of Mizoram is a man having the largest family in the world.
Although polygamy is not allowed in the country, this man managed to marry 39 women! All his wives sleep together in the house in huge communal dormitories! (Strange but India facts)
The man now has 94 children, 33 grandchildren, and about 14 daughters by law! This makes him the head of the largest family residing in the entire world.
4. India has the second largest population in the entire world: India has the second largest population in the world. India has about 1.34 billion people living in the country, just after China. However, it is believed that soon India will become the most populated country in the entire world.
5. Tigers and lions live together in India: India is a rare country where lions and tigers live together in the same Jungle.
6. Snakes and Ladders originated in India: Earlier known as Moksha Patamu, the game was initially invented as a ethical lesson about karma to be taught to childeren. It was later commercialized and has turned in one of the most popular board games in the world.