Constipation is one of the most common digestive problems faced by most of the people. May it be temporary or permanent, constipation in itself is very uncomfortable. It mainly occurs where your colon tends to absorb too much of water. The reason behind this might be because the muscles of the colon are slowly contracting. This might result in the slow release of the stool and tend to lose more water from the body.
Let’s get to know in detail of what Causes Constipation
Table of Contents
What Causes Constipation: Most Common Causes of Constipation
1. Low intake of fibre in the diet
People who have proper intake of fibre in their diet tend to not suffer from constipation. It is highly mandatory for the consumption of food that is rich in fibre. Foods such as fruits, vegetable and whole grains should be included in your diet in proper quantity. On the other hands, food such as fried food, cheese, meat and eggs are low in fibre and can be a cause of constipation. Fibre is one of the most important factors that promote bowel movements and prevention against constipation.
Also known as underactive thyroid, causes the slow down of metabolic processes of the body which might lead to one of the causes of constipation. It is not a compulsion that people suffer from constipation might have thyroid problems but if young people who are complaining more than usual, there are chances of having this as a major cause.
3. Intake of Medicines or Drugs
This is quite obvious that medications come with several side effects. It might even be a constipation cause. Medicines like anti-depressants, anti-anxiety pills, heartburn medicines and blood pressure medicines can be a source of constipation cause. Painkillers these days are also a source of constipation cause. The entire processing of the digestive system gets bound away along with the pain and thus leads to constipation.
As per the recent research and study, another cause of constipation is diabetes. People suffering from diabetes, the nerve damages and also tends to affect your entire body over time. When this problem troubles your gut, there will be a slow transition in your intestine, as well as issues in the rectal sensation which leads to being one of the causes of constipation.
5. Overuse of Laxatives
It is a myth that people should be going to the washroom once a day. There are some people to make sure that this occurs tend to take the help of the laxatives. Laxatives are highly effective for bowel movements. But using them on a regular basis makes you body be getting used to it. Long-term use of laxatives tend to release chemicals that tell the colon to not pass stool and you need to intake more of this. Overuse of laxatives over a long period can be one of the causes of constipation.
In general, vitamins are highly important for your body’s growth and proper functioning. At times, calcium or iron turns reverse reaction. It is important to take the vitamin pills only when it is required. It is better to consult the doctor before start taking the pills. As the use of an excess of it might lead to the constipation cause.
7. Lack or too much of exercise
Exercising at least 30 minutes per day tend for a proper functioning and healthy development of your body. However, if you are not exercising and become legarthic, it might lead to the causes of constipation. Exercise helps in the stimulation of the intestinal activity which helps in the removal of the waste from the body. On the other hand, too much exercise is not good. While exercising, your body releases sweat regulating body temperature. As the body needs more water intake, the intestines are trying to recover from the stool moving. This leads to one of the causes of constipation where the stool becomes hard to pass.
8. Not Drinking Enough Water
If you are suffering from constipation already, drinking of liquids might not help. Though, regular drinking of enough water helps in reducing the risk of acute constipation. There are certain drinks especially caffeine that causes dehydration and worsens constipation. Drinks like these and alcohol should be avoided.
9. Problem with Colon or Rectum
One of the causes of constipation can be the presence of a tumour which restricts the passage of the stool. People having Hirschsprung disease tend to suffer from constipation. Also, problems like scar tissue, an abnormal narrowing of the rectum might lead to constipation cause.
10. Changes in routine
While you are travelling, the normal routine that you tend to follow gradually changes. This affects the digestive system leading to constipation cause. You might wake up too early or sleep too late, eat meals at different times and so much more. Due to such changes in the normal routine, you might suffer from constipation.
During pregnancy, women undergo loads of hormonal changes that make it more prone to constipation cause. The uterus might compress the intestine which might result in down churning down of the food or the digestive process.
12. Other Conditions
There is the presence of certain diseases that slows the movement f the faeces of the colon or anus and might be one of the causes of constipation. We have incorporated some of the diseases that might be the causes of constipation.
- Systemic Diseases – These sort of diseases tend to affect numerous organs of the body or the entire body. Diseases as such involve lupus, scleroderma, amyloidosis.
- Cancer – Constipation mainly occurs in people suffering from cancer. Extreme pain and chemotherapy lead to intake of excessive medications. Also, tumour blocks the passage of the digestive system.
- Neurological Disorders – Multiple Sclerosis (MS), Parkinson’s disease, stroke, spinal cord injuries, and chronic idiopathic intestinal pseudo-obstruction might lead to becoming one of the major causes of constipation.
- Endocrine and metabolic conditions: Conditions or diseases like Uremia, diabetes, hypercalcemia, poor glycemic control, and hypothyroidism leads to becoming major causes of constipation.
Natural Remedies to Avoid Constipation
- People who are suffering from constipation should at least have 18 to 30 grams of fibre in their diet.
- Drinking enough water is important for reducing the risk of acute constipation
- Bulking agents like wheat bran can be effective for reducing the causes of constipation. Do not take it in excess amount but only when required.
- Make sure that you follow a healthy routine and get into exercising regularly at least for 30 mins every day.
- Do not hold your stools for longer period. Whenever you want to feel like going to the bathroom and let yourself out.
- There are several remedies homoeopathic remedies that will help in the prevention of causes of constipation.
It is still important to visit a doctor for the best remedy. If it is a short time constipation following the above treatments will be useful. It is still important that you seek the help and support of the certified professionals who will understand your problem and provide you with the best solution.