Smartphones are the modern technologically advanced inventions of the modern 21st century. Our lives have become easier, efficient and productive will the advent of mobile phones. But, recent medical reports have found that cell phone emit harmful electromagnetic fields (EMFs) or radiation, which is likely to cause damage to body cells. In dire circumstances, it can also cause cancer. The International Agency for Research on Cancer has listed EMFs from mobile phones like the new carcinogens.
EMFs can interrupt the human body’s natural electrical system, immune systems, and hormone production, and our healing processes. Besides, excessive exposure to EMFs can cause insomnia, depression, anxiety, chronic pain, Alzheimer’s disease and so on.
Smartphones emit radiation, and expose you to radiation continuously, even if you aren’t talking about it. But there is a way you can protect yourself from these harmful EMFs and keep using your cell phone regularly.
Below are ten ways to use your smartphone safely and protect yourself from the harmful radiation:
- Maintain distance. Don’t keep your smartphone next to your body, chest pocket or bra. Don’t keep your smartphone in your pockets unless it’s switched off or in airplane mode. Women who keep their smartphone in their bras have an increased chance of developing breast cancer, according to a report by Environmental Health Trust. Researchers also said that men who keep their mobile phones in their pockets or belt pockets or close to their genitals might have lower sperm mobility and sperm counts.
- Use the speaker for talking. Holding your smartphone near your ear exposes your salivary glands to Electro Magnetic Fields or EMFs. Studies have shown that cancer of the parotid gland, which is located close to your cheek have increased four times more than salivary glands cancer from 1970 to 2006. Maintain a distance of 30 to 40 centimeters from your body while using and texting from your smartphone. This will reduce your exposure to radiation.
- Turn off your phone when you aren’t using it. A phone that’s switched off won’t emit any radiation.
- Use alternatives. If possible use an old-fashioned landline or Skype, to talk to friends and family or in a meeting.
- Use an EMF shielding device. There are a variety of holsters and other mobile phone holders that have shields that claim can block radiation or EMF waves. However, before buying these products check if it has a Specific Absorption Rate or SAR value.
- Turn on your smart phone’s airplane mode before you give you kid your cell phone to play games.
- Turn on your mobile phone’s to plane mode feature, or only turn it off before going to bed. Also, after you switched off your phone, don’t keep in near to face or under the pillow, instead, keep it at the side of your bed.
- Put on shungite necklace. Shungite is a black, non-crystalline mineraloid that’s mainly found in Russia and comprises of 98 percent carbon. People claim that shungite necklace can shield people from electromagnetic radiation.
- Use your smartphones only in areas that have better receptions. A mobile phone that has better reception normally emit less radiation, heat and power that those that are used in place with poor reception or networks.
- Reduce Bluetooth usage. As soon you are done with your call, remove the Bluetooth headset from your ear. Don’t always use your Bluetooth headset on one ear. Instead, try switching from one ear to the other ear. This will reduce exposure of radiation to one ear.
Using your smartphone in the above ways will protect you from the harmful radiations while using and also will reduce your exposure to electromagnetic fields as well.