Today we bring to you the tale of an Indian city where every corner of the place is filled with royalty. If you are willing to view the “Venice of the East”, you should seek the pleasure to enjoy the beauty of the amazing place. By this time, you should be aware of the place that we are talking about. It is the “The City of Lake”, Udaipur.
Located in Rajasthan, Udaipur is the city that will engulf you with its rich cultural heritage, the historical background, and the mesmerizing stunning location. If Udaipur needs to be requoted again, the synonyms for it will be royalty on the first place, grandeur, and rich history. There are numerous things to do in Udaipur at the same time so many places to visit and delve into the rich culture of the place.
Painted in the alluring beauty of the lakes, palaces, and forts, Udaipur is the home to one of the most romantic places in India. Also known as the “White City”, this place is one of the most selected and booked places for grand celebrations, desert safaris, cultural functions, forts and palace tours.
It is the Mewars who needs to gain all the credits for the development of such a wondrous palace where the desert got to quench its thirst. Most of the popular places are built by the Maharanas, Udaipur has so much to offer and so much to see. Let’s take you on a small tour where you will be able to know the beauty of the “Venice of the East.”
Places to visit in Udaipur
1. The City Palace
- One of the best places to see in Udaipur is the City Palace. The true glory of the sumptuousness with the conglomeration of several buildings, the palace is a lot to unveil of its age-old history. Also known as the Palace Complex, the interior is filled with numerous rooms and pillars.
- History states that it took nearly 300 years for the formation of the structure of the palace. Commenced during the era of Maharana Udai Singh II, the architecture of the building is exemplary and way beyond explanation in words.
- The main highlights of the Palace are going to make the visitors go in awe. The marvelous crystal gallery, the vintage car museum, Daawat-i-Aam, Daawat-i-Khas, Maharani Palace and Lake Pichola is the major Udaipur attractions of City Palace.
- Considered as one of the best sightseeing in Udaipur, the fusion of the Mughal and Rajasthani architecture accentuated the entire charisma of the palace, authentically.
2. The Lake Palace
- Located on the Jag Niwas Island, The Lake Palace covers nearly 1.5 hectares of land. The outstanding palace is built on Lake Pichola around 1734 by Maharana Jagat Singh. Now run by the Taj group, it is known to be as the Taj Lake Palace, one of the best heritage hotels to visit in Udaipur.
- The artistic beauty and the architecture of the place showcase the magical aura that has a canvas picture like appearance with the Aravalli in the background. The gilt moldings, fretwork screens, and sculpted marbles are a must watch. Nearly 4 acres of rock has been put to use for the formation of the palace.
- The main attractions of Udaipur, The Lake Palace presents you with the incredible fountains, painted mirrors, pink stone works, lotus leaves, and cusped arches. Not only this, there are Dhola Mahal, Bada Mahal, Ajjan Niwas and Kush Mahal that are some of the famous apartments there
- This Udaipur hotel has the top-notch facility for their guest including swimming pool, restaurants, cafe, conference hall, 8 meeting rooms, 12 banquet halls for parties and functions.
3. Jag Mandir
- Built on the island of Lake Pichola, it is also known as the Lake Garn Palace. It is another most places to visit in Udaipur where the entire construction of the place is performed by the three Maharanas of Mewar.
- The central building of the palace is known to be Jagmandir which has elephants position outside formulated with marble. The 3 storied building is divided into sectors like Gul Mahal, the elephant facade, the Darikhana on the northern side, the palace of 12 stones that is the Bara Patharon Ka Mahal, the Zenana Mahal, and the Kunwar Pada Ka Mahal.
- Gul Mahal being the main palace is octagonal in shape and has several residential suits, reception hall and internal courts that enhance the entire look of the palace. This summer resort is one of the places to visit in Udaipur.
4. The Vintage Car Museum
- Started in 2000, one of the keen Udaipur attractions is getting mesmerized by the beauty of the Vintage Classic Car Museum. Basically showcasing the cars of the Maharaja, there are a total of 22 vehicles. There is 1934’s Cadillac, Rolls-Royce Phantom which was used in the movie James Bond.
- Not only this, this major Udaipur attraction is home to the most famous restaurant, The Bougainvillea.
- There is also a petrol pump in the garage which is still running and was built during the era of the Maharanas of Mewar.
5. Saheliyon Ki Bari
- Another place to visit in Udaipur is “The Garden of the Maidens” or to be precise, Saheliyon-Ki-Bari, constructed by Maharana Bhopal Singh. Particularly built for the royal ladies of Mewar, the garden is the greenery treat to the deserted place.
- With fountains and lush greenery, Saheliyon ki Bari has been one of those places where the Princess of Udaipur along with their maids indulge in all sorts of recreational activities. There are marble elephants, beautiful lotus pool which makes it truly one of the major Udaipur attractions.
- Located on the banks of Lake Fateh Sagar, the garden has been customized by the king s a token to present for his queen. Post her marriage, she used to come there along with 48 more of her maids for getting the retreat from the normal life. Also, there has been the addition of the Rain Fountains which was built by Maharana Bhopal Singh.
6. Fateh Sagar Lake
- Known to the second largest lake in the city, The Fateh Sagar Lake is situated opposite to the entrance of the Moti Magri Mahal. It is one of the famous Udaipur attractions that was constructed by Mahana Jai Singh.
- The depth of the lake is nearly 12 meters and is 2.4 km in length and 1.6 m in breadth. There are all total 4 channels, 3 intakes and one overflow which comes to view during the rainy season. You will be able to visit the lake by booking a boat.
- Also, the island presents you with greenery and a restaurant in a shape of a boat called Nehru Park. Along with the island also is favorite picnic spot for local people as well as has a small zoo. It is one of those beautiful places to visit in Udaipur where the entire lake is surrounded by the hill on all the three sides and the breathtaking view is just mesmerizing.
- The second island has been transformed in an impeccable garden with loads of foundations run by the government of the state itself. Whereas the third island is taken care by the Udaipur Solar Observatory which is known to be the best solar observing site in entire Asia.
7. Bagore Ki Haveli
- Another most beautiful palace in Udaipur, Bagore Ki Haveli is situated on the Ganguar Ghat. Built during the 18th century, Bagore Ki Haveli is going to make you go awe with its splendid architecture that offers the sneak peak to the royal life of the Maharajas and Maharanis.
- Inside the Queen’s chamber, the painting of the Mewar regime can be seen.
- The entire palace has nearly 100 large rooms where each room has the decoration of mirror works.
- You will be able to view the different jewelry boxes, hooks, hand fans, pan boxes, rose water sprinklers, copper vessels and all the royals things that have been used by the Rajputs. The evening dance and the music show is also another most famous thing for the tourists here.
8. Jagdish Temple
- Built by Maharana Jagat Singh, Jagdish Temple is an Indo-Aryan Temple located near Badi Pol entrance of the City Palace. It is known to be one of the most beautiful Udaipur attractions.
- The architecture of the building is so fine and intricately done which is highly commendable. The temple has long corridors, beautifully painted walls, spacious halls, and finely carved pillars. Along with it, there is a pyramidal spire, prayer hall and the porch, 50 beautifully carved pillars each on the three-story temple.
- The main shrine is of Lord Vishnu formulated in black stone and is encircled by shrines of Lord Ganesha, Goddess Shakti, Lord Shiva, and Sun God. The entire formulation of the place has been done as per the Vastu Shastra and is one of the highly preached places in Udaipur.
- This magnificent temples not only serves as a place of worship but also hold the importance and value from the past. It is a must visit place when you are looking forward to major Udaipur attractions.
9. Crystal Gallery
- Situated inside the Fateh Prakash Palace, The Crystal Gallery is the world’s famous gallery and one of the best places to visit in Udaipur. It is known to have the single largest collection of crystal all around the globe.
- The impeccable collection of the crystal was formulated by Maharana Sajjan Singh around 1877. The entire collection concludes perfume bottles, glasses, furniture, decanters, and so much more. Even there is a crystal bed which is only a piece in the entire world. The entire collection of Crystal is customized for the royalty of Mewar.
- Visit this outstanding gallery where every corner of the place depicts history about Shriji Arvind Singhji, the crystal ware, and the royal Mawar family. You will be able to find restaurants there at the gallery for refreshments.
10. Dudh Talai Musical Garden
- This garden is basically a small pond circumferenced by a rock garden where there is a musical fountain. The place is quite nearly and you can easily walk to reach there.
- The located of the Garden is so apt that you will be able to view the beauty of Udaipur. The Lake Pichola, Udaipur City Palace, all can be seen from here.
- Horse rides, as well as Camel Rides, are also available along with boating. There is another beautiful thing to do in Udaipur is to reach the Karni Mata Temple through connecting ropeway.
- The list seems to be unending when it comes to visiting the best Udaipur attractions. But that doesn’t end here, Udaipur is also home to several places of retreat as well as quench your thirst for shopping.
The other best things to do in Udaipur
- Watching the beautiful Sunset at Fateh Sagar Lake
- Taking a boat ride at Lake Pichola
- Relishing lip smacking Rajashthani Cuisine at Darikhana Restaurant
- Explore the Handicrafts of the craftsmen at Shilpgram
- Enjoy the beautiful Sheesh Mahal
- Head for shopping to Hathi Pol Bazaar, Bada Bazaar, Chetak Circle and Rajasthali.
- Visit the place or the temple where Katty Perry got hitched
- Click pictures at the Japanese Rock Garden
- Enjoy the light and sound show at Moti Magri
Final Words –
Exploring Udaipur is one experience that you will never forget ever in your lifetime. You will be able to find the best Udaipur Hotel to stay and then there too is so much more to explore. You need to be sure that you book your hotels beforehand and then once you reach there head out to the beautiful “Venice of the East.” Also, there are beautiful places nearby which you can surely head out to explore. There are several Heritage Walks too which you can opt for to explore the historical culture of this royalty place.