Different weathers bring different problems to the surroundings. Some problems can be related to diseases whereas some can lead to the breeding of one of the most annoying species on earth. Such annoying species include Gnats. So how to get rid of gnats, below are the best techniques you can use to eradicate these tiny little creatures.
Table of Contents
What Are Gnats?
- Gnats are one of the most troublesome species of flies, which are prevalent round the globe.
- They resemble quite a lot to mosquitoes, however they are not identical to them.
- Gnats can be both biting ones and non-biting ones.
- Gnats are considered to be more annoying when compared to mosquitoes, flies and ants.
- It is not easy to identify them, and can be commonly found in the summers near places situated near waters bodies.
- However a note is to be made on their presence that though they are prevalent in water based areas, although less in number they can be also found in other places too.
- Gnats are to be species of insects to be made quite a distance from as their bites can give you severe swelling, and can prove to be really painful.
How To Get Rid Of Gnats In The House:
Traditional Bottle Trap:
- This trap has been deployed since years, and has been successful in eradicating those annoying gnats.
- Material required:
- A jar a can will also do( basically anything with height that can fill in liquid)
- Apple cider vinegar ( or a regular white vinegar will do)
- Plastic sheet (a wrap)
- Screws or tooth picks
- You can also use scented soap and a fruit to attract the gnats even more easily.
- Start by filling the jar with the apple cider vinegar.
- Next, cover the mouth of the can or jar with the plastic wrap.
- Using a screw, nail or a toothpick, poke some holes in the sheet carefully.
- The holes should be as such that it let the gnats easily enter the bottle however, makes them confuse to escape it.
- Place the trap jar somewhere the gnats are most prominent.
- The logic behind this trap is that gnats get allured by the essence of the vinegar which would attract them.
- Once they enter the jar they would eventually get confused and would not got a way out and eventually die.
How To Get Rid Of Gnats Home Remedies
- Homemade sprays are one the best techniques ever made to eradicate these nasty little creatures.
- For the spray, we need:
- Vegetable oil
- Powdered cayenne pepper
- Liquid castile soap
- An empty spray bottle
- So start by bringing all the ingredients together.
- Pour some water in the spray bottle.
- Next, add oil and 2 tablespoons of oil in the water.
- Gradually add the powdered cayenne pepper in to the mixture.
- Close (seal) the bottle and start shaking the bottle.
- You need to mix all the contents of the mixture thoroughly.
- You can also perform the above tasks in a separate container, and after preparing the container you can pour in into a spray bottle.
- Once the mixture gets ready, start spraying it onto the plants where you can see the gnats.
- This mixture also helps in eradicating further breeding if the gnats.
REMEMBER: the moment you spray the mixture, nobody should be entering the areas close by.
How To Get Rid Of Gnats In The Kitchen
- This techniques works the best where the gnats breed in the drains.
- However, for this technique to work as the best, simply pouring the bleach into the drain.
- First of try diluting the bleach with just a little bit of water (remember just a little bit).
- You can also use ammonia to kill the gnats.
- Remember not to mix ammonia with bleach, as the combination of these two chemicals can result to the creation of a ghastly poisonous fume.
- Also you need to dilute the ammonia for hours before using it against the gnats, as ammonia would not only kill the gnats, it can cause a lot of harm to the person experimenting with it.
- A serious note is to be made on your safety.
- Before pouring the bleach in to the sink or drain remember, cover your mouth and some eye protection too to avoid any damage.
- Red wine not only attracts the gnats but also intoxicates them!
- For this trap you need:
- A bowl or any container with depth.
- Red wine (not necessary to have those expensive ones).
- Plastic wrap
- Liquid Soap( just a few drops)
- Toothpick or anything with a sharp point
- It is quite similar to vinegar trap and thus the setup too.
- Pour a little bit of wine into the container.
- Better add some drops of soap into the wine, as they would further avoid the gnats to fly away once they get caught into the trap.
- Next, seal the mouth of the container with a plastic sheet and secure it tightly with a rubber band or a string by coiling it around.
- Poke some holes in the wrap.
- The essence of the wine would allure the gnats and will make them enter the container through the holes.
- Once the flies enter the container they would not be able to escape and would eventually die.
How To Get Rid Of Outdoor Gnats
- Prevention is better than cure! Well it is rightly said as if we take care of the things which lead to the breeding of gnats, we won’t be having anything to try on to eradicate those annoying creatures.
- The best way to practice cleanliness of dishes to wash them right away after having your meals.
- Since gnats breed in damp and dirty areas therefore the trash lying in your house can help the gnats breed them easily.
- Do not let your trash open. Remember always to cover your trash with a proper.
- If possible discard is as soon as it gets accumulated.
- Do not wait to make the quantity huge.
- As said above damp areas are one of the most prominent areas of gnat’s breeding.
- Try keeping all your areas dry and clean.
- A special check is to be made in drains, kitchens and bathrooms.
- Leaking taps can also increase the probability of breeding of the gnats.
- You might be a fan of gardening, however the soil can lead you into a serious trouble.
- Always try to maintain top quality of soil as inferior quality of soil can make a nice space for breeding of the gnats (which obviously you don’t want to!).
Aren’t these techniques so easy! So what’s the wait for, try these techniques, and get yourself free from these unwanted creatures in your house.