Cod Liver Oil
Extracted from the livers of Atlantic Cod, Cod liver oil is known to be the best source of omega 3 fatty acids. Not only this, but it also has got a high amount of vitamin A and vitamin D. Cod liver oil first came into existence in the year 1789. It is treated to be the first medicine for the treatment of rheumatism and later followed by rickets. At the end of the 1930s, the doctor started recommending it as the best source to treat rickets as well as problems caused due to Vitamin D deficiency.
Let’s delve into the concepts of knowing the various cod liver oil benefits that occur in every part of the human body. Get to know in details how cod liver oil will benefit you in different forms and ways.
Cod Liver Oil Benefits
Let’s take a deep dive into cod liver oil health benefits, cod liver oil skin benefits and cod liver oil benefits for hair.
Cod Liver Oil – Health benefits
Cod liver oil is highly nutritious. If you tend to intake one teaspoon of cod liver oil, you are intaking 90 percent of Vitamin A and 113 percent of your daily requirement of Vitamin D where Vitamin A serves for maintaining your healthy eyes, functioning of the brain and skin. Vitamin D plays the role of maintaining healthy bones and other health-related factors of your body.
Cod Liver Oil Help In The Reduction Of Inflammation
- It is inflammation that becomes a natural process fighting body infections and healing injuries. There are at times where inflammation can persist at a low level for longer periods. This condition is known as chronic inflammation. It might be harmful as well as might increase the chances of the risking of high blood pressure as well as diseases related to the heart.
- The presence of omega 3 fatty acids present in cod liver oil might help in the reduction of chronic inflammation. It will suppress the proteins that initiate for its promotion. These involve TNF-α, IL-1 and IL-6.
- Cod liver is filled with powerful antioxidants as mentioned before which also plays a good part in the reduction process of inflammation through the binding and neutralization of the free radicals that are harmful to the body. Sources reveal that people who suffer from the deficiency of Vitamins A and Vitamin D tend to suffer more from Inflammation.
Cod Liver Oil Helps In Treating Joint Pain And Rheumatoid Arthritis Symptoms
- Rheumatoid arthritis is mainly caused by the damage of the joints and is known to be an autoimmune disease. At present, there is no proper cure for the treatment of Rheumatoid arthritis. Research and studies have stated that intake of cod liver oil might help in relieving the joint pain.
- There might be an improvement in the symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis that involves joint swelling and stiffness. As per research, if you take 1 gram of cod liver oil every day for 3 long months, you will be able to see the positive results from your end.
- There has been a study conducted with a few numbers of people suffering from the symptoms of Rheumatoid arthritis. It is said that the intake of cod liver oil has also helped the people to stop their need for anti-inflammatory medicines.
- As per the belief, the presence of omega 3 fatty acids in the cod liver oil not only helps in the reduction of inflammation but also protect from the pain in the joints.
Cod Liver Oil Reduces Risk For Heart Diseases
One of the leading causes of death globally is that more than 17 million people are suffering from the risk of heart diseases. As per studies, it has been released that people who eat fish regularly do not have a higher risk of heart diseases. This is due to the positive impact of omega 3 fatty acids in the body.
There have been health benefits due to the intake of omega 3 fatty acids –
Reducing triglycerides: Presence of Omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil plays a role in the reduction of blood triglycerides as nearly as 30 per cent.
Lowering blood pressure: As per different conducted researches, it has been revealed that omega-3 fatty acids help in lowering blood pressure and also helps in treating people suffering from high cholesterol.
Increasing HDL cholesterol: Presence of Omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil help in the rise HDL cholesterol that lowers the risk of heart diseases.
Cod Liver Oil Prevents plaque formation:
- Cod liver oil reduces the risk of plaques that tend to form in the arteries which if formed, might be a high risk for heart attacks.
- Intake of cod liver oil supplements reduces the risk of heart diseases.
Cod Liver Oil helps in Improvement of bone health
- It is important to maintain healthy bones as per age. Your body tends to lose mass after 30. In the latter half of the life, it affects the most in women after their menopause.
- Cod liver oil is the great source of Vitamin V that helps in the absorption of calcium in your body for stronger and healthier bones.
- Intake of cod liver oil supplements helps in the reduction of bone loss in adults and strong bones in kids.
Cod Liver Oil Supports Eye Health
- 65 percent of the people suffers from eye problems. There are many reasons for the eye problems which include glaucoma and age-related macular degeneration (AMD). This might even occur due to chronic inflammation.
- The presence of omega 3 fatty acids and Vitamin A in cod liver oil tends to provide protection against any type of eye problems. It also helps in the prevention of risk factors for glaucoma.
Cod Liver Oil Improves the symptoms of Anxiety and Depression
- Anxiety and depression are one of the most common forms of problems faced by people these days. Studies have stated that the sources in cod liver oil help in the reduction of the symptoms leading to anxiety and depression.
- Vitamin D creates an effect in the brain which is actually bound to the receptors and enhances the release of mood-improvement hormones that helps in fading out anxiety and tensions.
Cod Liver Oil Benefits Skin
Not only on for health, cod liver oil benefits skin too. With the presence of the rich sources in the supplement of cod liver oil, any sort of rashes on the skin are removed as well as enhances the outlook of the skin making it glowy and beautiful as ever.
- Most of the people suffer from the problem of having dry skin. It becomes itchy, causes redness and even burning sensations. As per reports, cod oil liver is highly beneficial for the treatment of such problems on dry skin.
- The supplement of it helps to moisturize the skin and leaves it soft and glowy. The intake of the supplement can also help in the reduction of leukotriene B4. It is a substance which is more likely to be the cause of dry skin.
- It is a condition of the skin that disturbs the life cycle of the cells of the skin. Due to this, the skin cells tend to form crusty thick patches after being developed sooner. These patches can even be itchy and leave a burning sensation.
- As per studies, if you take cod liver oil, the presence of omega 3 fatty acids in it restricts the growth of the inflammatory-inducing agents which is actually the main source of Psoriasis. Application of fish oil will relieve from you irritating skin conditions.
- It is another skin condition that is caused by the inflammation of the skin. This involves different types that involve seborrheic dermatitis and atopic dermatitis or eczema. Symptoms are itchy skin, redness, swollen skin.
- This condition can be controlled by the intake or application of cod liver oil or supplements. It has got anti-inflammatory properties that help in the curing of such problems.
Cod Liver Oil Benefits For Hair
- The Cod liver oil capsules are extremely beneficial not only to the body but also for the hair and skin. It is one of the greatest source or rather a catalyst element for proven gorgeous and thick hair.
- The presence of omega-3 fatty acid in the supplement helps in the boosting of the production of collagen in the body that leads to healthier hair. Being rich in protein, cod liver oil capsules helps in strengthening your hair from inside.
- Cod liver oil has also the presence of Vitamin A and Vitamin D which serves to be having anti-inflammatory properties and creates a greater result in boosting hair growth, respectively. Due to the presence of Vitamin D or precisely Vitamin D-3, the cod liver oil stimulates hair growth from inside. It helps in the growth of healthier hair follicles with leads to shiny, thick and healthy hair growth.
- Common hair problems faced by people these days have been hair loss or sheer inflammation due to different signs of baldness on the head. Sheer inflammation caused on the head is mostly due to the patterned baldness. Patterned baldness could be due to genetic disorders or relevant problems.
- The presence of omega-3 fatty acids in cod liver oil acts as an anti-inflammatory property as well as a growth supplement to boost hair growth and reduce inflammation.
- Not only that omega 3 fatty acid boost in hair growth and opens up the follicles but there are greater aspects to healthier growth of hair. It also helps in preventing dry and flaky scalp. Since omega 3 fatty acid is a healthy fat, it helps in reducing and omitting the flakiness and itchiness in the scalp.
- Before you take the dosage for your hair. It is important to know whether it suits you. There have been issues that lead to hair loss or hair thinning due to underlying health problems. If you are a pregnant woman, consider visiting your doctor before taking the dosage for the same.
Effective Cod Liver Oil Uses
- It is the right kind of fat that helps in weight loss and helps in the breakdown of carbohydrates into sugar.
- Another effective cod liver oil uses is that it not only support for any health-related problems mentioned above but also prevents age-related macular degeneration.
- Regular intake of cod liver oil supplement might help in the prevention against coronary artery diseases. Intake of proper amount helps in the protection against arteriosclerosis.
- Presence of Vitamin A in cod liver oil helps in healing wounds faster than the normal period. Proper intake of cod liver oil or its supplement also helps in the prevention of cognitive impairment.
- Studies have revealed that cod liver oil has been an effective option for curing tuberculosis.
Cod Liver Oil Side Effects
Apart from having too many benefits and uses, it is indeed surprising that cod liver oil has side effects too. You need to be careful regarding the amount or dosage that you intend to take. There is a risk of contaminants present in the fish oil supplements. Some has regarded to be dangerous as there is the presence of harmful toxins like mercury, and the hormone-disrupting pollutant dioxin which is formed in the fatty tissue of the fish. Again when it comes to pregnancy and intake of fish oil, it is better not to have it. Though it reduces the type 1 diabetes then chances are due to the presence of Vitamin A, women might also face miscarriage or birth defects.
Final Words –
You will always find a pro and a con into everything. Nothing is perfect to the T. If you want to lead a healthier life, cod liver oil intake is indeed important. But at the same time, you need to be careful of the dosage. It is better to consult the experts regarding the dosage every day and continue with the same. After all, it is always better to seek expert advice.