Do you own a dog who only wants to eat a certain kind of food? Are you noticing lately that your pooch consumes just a small amount of his meal? There are different reasons why all of a sudden, your canine becomes a picky eater. But don’t worry, there also lots of solutions to boost his appetite like using dog food seasoning to improve the taste of his meal.
According to Doctor Margaret Hoppe of Abingdon Square Veterinary Clinic in New York, if you’re having a hard time feeding your dog regularly and he skips meals at least once a day, he is a picky eater. Doctor Louise Murray of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, meanwhile, claims that if a dog eats a tastier meal than his last, he may reject that food if you give it to him again.
Top Reasons Why A Dog Won’t Eat His Meal
There are many possible causes of picky eating behavior in dogs. As a responsible pet owner, you must take this seriously and resolve it immediately. Here are some possible reasons:
- He’s suffering from health issues like stomach problems, allergies, and sore teeth or gums.
- He consumes too many treats and lost his appetite.
- He has overeaten the same food and wants some variety.
- He cannot concentrate on his meal due to distractions.
- It is natural for dogs to skip meals once in a while.
- He wants to do other activities with you, like walking around the neighborhood.
- He is anxious, lonely, and bored.
- You fed him too much scrap food from your table.
- He is getting older and is losing his appetite.
Useful Tricks to Resolve Picky Eating Behavior in Dogs
A way to a dog’s heart is through his stomach. But if your canine suddenly starts refusing, what are the strategies you can use to improve his appetite? Here are some tips and suggestions to resolve eating issues in your pet:
- Determine whether or not his poor taste is due to sickness or other health problems. You must consult your veterinarian for a more accurate assessment.
- Establish a regular feeding schedule to teach your dog the benefits of eating promptly. Allocate a 15-minute eating time for your canine and pick up the bowl when the time is up.
- Dedicate an area that is free from distractions and loud noise as your pooch’s dining place.
- Refrain from doling out table scraps to maintain his appetite for his regular meal.
- Try adding tasty extras like dog food seasoning, flavor-enhanced toppers, and chicken broth to his meal to encourage him to eat.
- Consider changing his kibble when you observe he is losing appetite from it.
- Walk your dog around the neighborhood to build up an appetite. Dogs need regular walks, so getting your daily exercise with your canine friend is as good for you as it is for them. This strategy works well for high-energy canines like Dalmatians, German Shepherds, and Fox Terriers.
- Do not feed him with spoiled food.
- Make sure to feed your pet just the right amount to avoid overfeeding.
Your pet needs to eat healthily to maintain his energy. However, if he suddenly loses his appetite, you must determine the root cause behind it. Follow the tips above, and your beloved pooch will regain his taste in no time.