The United States of America (USA) is one of the biggest countries in the world. It is home to some of the most beautiful and picturesque landscapes on earth, vast iconic attractions, and many other places to explore. It is considered to be one of the hot spots for international travellers and a highly recommendable place to visit at least once in a traveller’s life. But there are few things that you must take into consideration before going to the US. From the tipping culture, to entry requirements, here are six things that you need to remember.
1. Visa and flight: USA demands that almost all non-citizens have to obtain a visa before they enter the country. Some can be a seamless process however there are some countries that can take longer visa processing due to external circumstances. You might also be “examined” at the airport because of the unfortunate tragedy of 9/11. With almost all airlines fly to USA, getting to each state is no big problem. There are daily flights from Asia, Middle East, Africa, Australia, and Europe. You can monitor your flight anytime via flight tracking application online.
2. Everything is Huge: From food, cars, roads, rooms, and others are big. This is one of the things that make USA different to other countries – everything is bigger compared to others. This also means that when you travel to US; expect to get more of your money.
3. Tipping culture: It is a usual practice to tip your waiter and it is considered rude if you do not leave one. Normally, you can give from 15% to 20% of the price and you are free to add more if you’ve received good service.
4. Visit national parks: It is a must that you at least visit one or two of the national parks in the US. Visiting Yellow Stone National Park, the Grand Canyon National Park, Yosemite National Park, and Zion National Park are undeniably worth your time.
5. Buy a TSA approved lock: USA’s Transportation Security Administration (TSA) enforces strict baggage guidelines for safety and security. They will screen it first and they have the right to break the lock and open the bag if the inspector deems that it needs to be physically inspected. To avoid losing a lock, it is highly advisable to only use TSA-approved one. They can open it with a master key without breaking yours.
6. Other quick tips:
- Ready you credit cards as it is usually the preferred mode of payment
- US has 6 time zones so be mindful of which time zone your destination is in especially for your flight status and airport transfers
- US is one of the countries that uses the Imperial system – height is in feet, distance in miles, and temperature in Fahrenheit.
USA is a place unlike any other. It showcases a pool of different landscapes and iconic cities to leave tourists amused to no end. If you find yourself visiting the USA, be sure to remember these important tips to help maximize your experience.